With all of the tools, case studies, and resources available the excuse to not implement a smart social media strategy that drives relationships, brand favor and revenue is walking down a mighty short plank.
If you’ve heard yourself or your management say:
“Social media only works with consumers…”
“Those are B2C social media tactics…”
“The B2B sales cycle is too complicated to implement social media…”
“We can’t measure social media ROI…”
It’s time to stop making excuses and start rolling up your sleeves to get down to work! Yes, it’s true… Your B2B customers are talking about you on Twitter, Facebook, in forums and in blog posts or comments. What’s also true is that your competition is right there listening and offering an option to solve their pain because you are not. What are you going to do about it?
Not sure? Sometimes it’s as 5 simple tips sending you in the right direction. But if you’re the type of B2B marketer that needs in-depth information to feel comfortable, make the business case or to get started with social media here are some resources and case studies.
- Social Media Marketing: Strategies for Engaging in Facebook, Twitter & Other Social Media – by Liana ‘Li’ Evans (Serengeti Communications’ Director of Social Media)
- Social Pollination: Escape the Hype of Social Media and Join the Companies Winning At It – by Monica L. O’Brien
- Flip the Funnel: How to Use Existing Customers to Gain New Ones – by Joseph Jaffe
- The New Rules of Marketing & PR – by David Meerman Scott
- Marketing to the Social Web: How Digital Customer Communities Build Your Business – by Larry Weber
- The New Influencers: A Marketer’s Guide to the New Social Media – by Paul Gillin
- Tactical Transparency: How Leaders Can Leverage Social Media to Maximize Value and Build their Brand – by Shel Holtz & John Havens
- Blogging for Business: Everything You Need to Know and Why You Should Care – by Shel Holtz and Ted Demopoulos
- The Corporate Blogging Book: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know to Get It Right – by Debbie Weil
- Personality Not Included: Why Companies Lose Their Authenticity And How Great Brands Get it Back – by Rohit Bhargava
- Measuring Public Relationships: The Data-Driven Communicator’s Guide to Success – by Katie D. Payne
- Social Media Metrics: How to Measure and Optimize Your Marketing Investment – by Jim Sterne
- IBM (Product Development)
- IBM (Communications)
- Equation Research
- Cisco Systems
If you still need help getting started consider doing an audience research analysis to uncovered how your target markets are using social media. Doing so will give you the insights you need to plan your social media strategy.